"Volunteers don't get paid for their work, not because it is worthless, but because it is priceless." ~anonymous
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Torres Community Shelter! Volunteers do an amazing amount of work at the Shelter, and we absolutely could not exist without them!
A number of volunteer opportunities are listed below. For more information, you can call (530) 891-9048. If you would like to volunteer, please click here for a volunteer application. Your application provides our staff with important information to help us fit volunteers with opportunities that will benefit all of us. You can fill out the form online, then return it to the Shelter in one of three ways:
- E-mail it to us. To e-mail your application while you are still in the form, click the envelope, which is the third icon from the left at the top of the document, then enter email@example.com ; or
- Fax it to us (530) 891-9084; or
- Mail it to us at: Torres Shelter, 101 Silver Dollar Way, Chico, CA 95928.
These are volunteer opportunities at the Shelter:
- Morning Monitor Assistants help out between 5:30-7:30 a.m. seven days a week (or just one!) They assist Shelter Monitors during the busy morning rush by helping with laundry, checking that guests have done their chores, and helping guests with their personal property bins.
- Evening Monitor Assistants help out between 4:00-8:00 p.m. one day a week or as their schedule allows. They assist the Shelter Monitors during the busy hours by helping with laundry, guests' personal property bins, toiletries, towels, etc. Please call (530) 891-9048 for more information.
Provide and Serve an Evening Meal
- Please click here to read "The Amazing Story of How we Serve Food!"
- An evening meal is provided and served each evening at 6:00 p.m. Numerous area churches or faith-based groups, caterers, and other groups and individuals prepare and serve meals at the Shelter, and have committed to specific days of the month. If you would like to learn more or would like to help with an evening meal, please call (530) 891-9048.
- Please note that since we do not have a commercial kitchen at the shelter, meals must be prepared elsewhere (specifically in a commercial kitchen) or be something suitable for preparation in our warming kitchen (for example, canned soups, sandwiches and/or salads). Some groups even buy ready-made meals once a month.
- This is a great team activity! We can provide you with ideas and you're welcome to use what ever is available to use in our pantry. Commitment is once a month or as desired.
Special Interest Volunteer
- There are many services our guests could use here at the shelter: haircuts, chiropractic care, kid’s activities, recreation activities for adults, book club, musical event, and classes (like art, music, crafts). Having a Food Drive (or other "drives" such as rain gear, blankets, towels, or supplies) would also help us stretch our budget.
Special Event Volunteer
- We always need helpers for our Christmas Tree Auction fundraiser held in November of each year! If you'd like to be part of the planning committee, please call Brad at (530) 891-9048. We also conduct several other fundraising activities and events during the year, and help is always needed before, during, or after the events or activities.
- Bedding and clothing is laundered on a rotating basis. We can always use help because this is an ongoing and never ending activity! You can sign up for one day a week, or one day a month, or somewhere in between. Please call (530) 891-9048 if you would like to help with the laundry.
Inventory & Clean our Pantry
- We need help cleaning and organizing our pantry once a month. This activity is good for either teams or individuals.
- Coordinate the preparation of the quarterly newsletter. Pick up copies from the printer; fold, seal, label them; collate by zip code and batch for post office.